Types of Divorce in Alabama
There are essentially 3 types of divorce actions in Alabama:
- Uncontested Divorce: You and your spouse have discussed divorce and decided how you are going to divide the Marital property and how you are going to work the custody and visitation of the children, if any. This is the least expensive divorce. Just call or e-mail our office for an appointment and we will explain the entire procedure and give you a divorce application to fill out. You return the application to the office. We go over specifics with you. You and your spouse make an appointment to come to the office either together or separately, sign the paperwork and we file your divorce for you. If you are interested in an uncontested divorce click here to download our forms in PDF format. Click here to download our forms for uncontested divorce.
- Contested Divorce: Just click on contact us and ask us for a divorce questionnaire. We will send you one, fill it out and we will help you get through your divorce. We do the paperwork , you sign, and we file the papers. Your spouse will get served with papers. At that time, your spouse can either agree to sign the papers or your spouse can retain an attorney. Don’t let the thought of getting a divorce get you down. We will make it as easy for you as we can.
- Legal Separation: This is a divorce that is not a divorce!!! You are legally separated but not actually divorced. You and your spouse can go about your business. You can date & live where you want to and do as you please. There are only a few situations where a legal separation makes any sense.:
- Religious grounds for not getting a divorce.
- The party who would not have insurance if they were divorced, has a sickness, and could not get insurance on their own.
- The possibility that living apart for a while might make the parties decide that marriage is better, particularly when children are involved. The cost for a legal separation is the same as an uncontested divorce because all the paperwork is the same. Contact us for more information.
If you are not sure what kind of divorce you need, we will be glad to sit down with you and discuss the matter. Just call our office and make an appointment. Click on this contact us and call, fill out the form or email us.
***All communications will be personal and confidential. Your safety and emotional well being are important to us. We understand how difficult it can be to end a marriage. Let us help you open a new door to your life…***